Have you ever meditated before? And if you haven't, have you wondered how? There are a few steps and with practice you will be meditating in no time! Here are several benefits of meditation, as well as a guide on how to meditate properly.
Benefits of Meditation
- Great calming effects
- Increases blood flow to the brain
- Makes your brain age slower and increases your muscle control and sensory
- Easier to focus and achieve flow
- Helps your mind defragment your thoughts to grasp a better sense of them
What You'll Need
1) Something to sit on
A chair is a good starting point that will help you keep your back straight. However, a meditation cushion is the most common chair used during meditation.
2) A timer
Have a timer in handy, as you will be timing your meditation sessions to track progress and record improvements. Your smartphone will substitute as a great timer, and there are many meditation apps as well.
1. Get Comfortable
Open the timer on your phone, and sit upright and in a comfortable posture. You can try dimming the lights or omitting them if it helps you focus better.
2. Start your timer
3. Focus entirely on your breath, as it exits your nostrils and how the air feels as it enters. Feel the air as you inflate and deflate your lungs, to the sensation under your nose as you breathe in and out, to the sound you make as you breathe. Just breathe naturally and observe your breath without much thought.
4. Don't think. Completely focus your attention to your breath without thinking or analyzing it.
5. If your mind starts to wander, don't lose focus and bring your mind back without thinking. When your mind wanders, gently bring your attention back to your breath and continue to breathe in and out.
Spending 10 minutes everyday to meditate will help improve your health and give you a peace of mind. At Medterra, we believe that a sound mind leads to a sound body. Follow these tips and practice every day and your mind and body will surely thank you!